"There is a pit there in front" - a friend warns you. You hesitate for a moment but then go on.. You keep moving on despite the warning calls and attempts to pull you back. Then, suddenly there is a thud, and down you fall right into the pit. With much struggle and perhaps a little help, you manage to come out and then declare with a tone of pride as if to hide your guilt, "Haan, wahaan pe khaayi thi". Typical human behaviour, right?
After having resisted on all my three previous visits to Paris, today I decided to go and see the famous Mona Lisa in the Louvre Museum.. There are some things that are just destined to happen. Almost right at the entrance, and all through the museum, there are signboards with a copy/picture of the original painting and an arrow pointing to the direction where you can find it.. I followed these till I reached one where I couldn't find the arrow. And then I realized that there was not supposed to be an arrow there. Yes, this was THE painting. I couldn't believe what I saw. It is moments like these that make you realize how miraculously ordinary some things can be - You are told by reliable people that it is nothing compared to what the fuss is all about, and as a result you are not expecting anything great, but then when you actually see it, you remark, "Is that what the fuss is all about?"
What to say of the people who were taking pictures of the painting and also posing with the painting. Reminds me of the famous emperor's clothes story. I feel sorry for the other paintings in that museum, or for that matter anywhere in the world that have been made by great but maybe not so famous artists and that hardly get any attention. I guess perhaps things such as pictures too, like people, have a fortune of their own.
I am also tempted a little to actually try to read about the history to know why this particular painting by Leonardo da Vinci is so famous, when he has himself made so many others.. but then I feel like that is going to be another pitfall - so, definitely not two in a single day :)
After having resisted on all my three previous visits to Paris, today I decided to go and see the famous Mona Lisa in the Louvre Museum.. There are some things that are just destined to happen. Almost right at the entrance, and all through the museum, there are signboards with a copy/picture of the original painting and an arrow pointing to the direction where you can find it.. I followed these till I reached one where I couldn't find the arrow. And then I realized that there was not supposed to be an arrow there. Yes, this was THE painting. I couldn't believe what I saw. It is moments like these that make you realize how miraculously ordinary some things can be - You are told by reliable people that it is nothing compared to what the fuss is all about, and as a result you are not expecting anything great, but then when you actually see it, you remark, "Is that what the fuss is all about?"
What to say of the people who were taking pictures of the painting and also posing with the painting. Reminds me of the famous emperor's clothes story. I feel sorry for the other paintings in that museum, or for that matter anywhere in the world that have been made by great but maybe not so famous artists and that hardly get any attention. I guess perhaps things such as pictures too, like people, have a fortune of their own.
I am also tempted a little to actually try to read about the history to know why this particular painting by Leonardo da Vinci is so famous, when he has himself made so many others.. but then I feel like that is going to be another pitfall - so, definitely not two in a single day :)
Been there, done that :D
ReplyDeleteBut it's ok, isnt it. Big deal.
haan, ok to khair hai hi.. it was actually fun to see people take it so seriously..
ReplyDeleteGreat Thought!!
ReplyDelete"pictures too, like people, have a fortune of their own"
...very true