Thursday, July 30, 2009

The solitude of prime numbers

Just heard about this book written in Italian last year and which has already been translated in English. The context was this very cool analogy that it draws between prime numbers and individuals, which I put here in my own words, since I don't know the original words right now...

[Prime numbers are these stubborn creatures that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. They get lonelier and lonelier as they move ahead (reference is to arbitrary gaps between primes as their size increases). Even though they get lonely and far apart from the rest of their family, they always eventually find a companion who stays close to them (reference is to the twin prime conjecture).
The tragedy, however, does not end there. Even though these companions are very close to each other, there is this evil force between them that tries its best to keep them apart. (this, of course, refers to the even number between the twin primes)]

...and the absolute lover of analogies that I am, this already attracts me towards this book and I think I should get hold of it soon..

5 comments:

  1. wonder how many of our lives embody the tragedy of the primes?

    p.s.- oh talking about books, i came across the most interesting copy of Hemingway..in Chinese! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riemann chacha ki hypothsis bhi kaheen is story mein fit hoti hai?

    It made me recall how daddu (our favorite septuagenarian prof) explained infinity. He said, ok lets start with 1 and writes one on the board then extends the list with 2,3,4,5 and while counting towards infinity leaves the room :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @swati

    Na hi wonder karein to zyaada achchha hai :)

    @TheQuark

    Yaar Reimann Chacha ki theory thodi zyaada complicated hai par agar thoda sochenge to shaayad koi kahaani ban hi jaaye... kabhi mehfil jamaate hain aur banaate hain kuchh nayi theories.

    I wonder kitne log saath saath infinity dekhne ke liye baahar gaye :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha!! I could not help, but keep my mouth open while going through the analogies! insightful! I would also like to share, the first page of my thesis with you (if I havent).. some more analogies..
    take care

    ReplyDelete